22.2.16

Natural Hair Update : Almost 2 years

A lot has changed since my last update six months into my transition. I finally chopped off the last of the perm ends. There was no point having thin, straight strands on my otherwise thicker curlier hair, it just looked odd. It took a while to adjust to having short hair. So much of our identify as women is attached to our hair, I didn't fully realize it until I only had a few inches on my scalp. The day after I did a "mini big chop" my co-workers didn't even recognize me (although I'm the only black person in the office -__-).  I learned to love my shorter hair and now it's back to the same length as before the transition when straight. Here are new things I learned about my hair:



  • My hair is much coarser than it was during transition. Once the permed ends were chopped off my true curl texture showed. The curls were much smaller and tighter, corkscrew like in shape and highly prone to shrinkage
  • Protective styling is my friend - shortly after the mini-chop (I love all these words naturals have invented, there is literally a new vocabulary understood only by those with curly hair) I got box-braids and they were instrumentally helpful in helping my hair grow. I made sure to moisturize my hair daily so it wouldn't be matted once the hair was taken down.
  • It's hard to exercise with long braids, but not impossible
  • Marley twists are another great option for protective styling. I even learned to do them myself and can now do my whole head in around four hours. 
  • If following YouTubers or friends with curly hair's advice, it's important they have similar hair to yours. My hair is closer to a 4a, 4b so I can't use the same products as my sister who is a 3b.
  • An Afro-Pick is key to create volume
  • Sometimes you will sit on your braids and it will really hurt your neck
  • Protective styles can't be kept in too long. I last 4 to 6 weeks. However if they start to look a little frizzy, it's okay.
  • I can no longer straighten my hair by myself and once I get it done it will last 3 days, tops. 
  • Don't be afraid to colour. I got mine coloured a light brown which is close to my hair colour so the roots won't be too obvious once they grow in.
  • Go to a professional for hair colour so that you don't have to spend hundreds of dollars fixing your failed attempts. 
  • MOISTURIZE. EVERYDAY. 

No comments:

Post a Comment