29.11.14

Natural Hair Transition : 6 Month Update

Four month into this transition now and I think I might stick with this process. No matter how many relaxers I previously added to my hair it would always remain voluminous and I could spend hours trying to straighten it. Now I don't straighten or blow-dry my hair anymore and I don't miss it at all! I do  however spend a lot more time entangling my hair but I've been pretending it's a scavenger hunt, makes the tedious process more interesting. I used very few products in my hair (I mean isn't it called going natural) and natural hair specific products tend be be much pricier here in Canada. My staples are coconut oil for daily conditioning, apple cider vinegar for weekly cleansing, a gel to attempt to tame the frizz and of course H2O because my hair is often dry. Here's what I learned so far:



1. I should invest in a wider tooth comb because detangling has become a pain in the dèrriere
2. Washing my hair with only conditioner is not very cleansing and still leaves me with residual oil and product build up. I use an apple cider vinegar cleanse and it sort of works although it leaves me smelling like salad dressing.
3. My hair is as dry as the sahara desert and needs to be moisturized twice or thrice a day because it's greedy.
4. Hair can be over saturated with oil. My hair is not very porous (hence why it is dry) and takes a long time to absorb products so half the time my deep conditioning treatments end up mostly on my neck and face.
5. It's okay to straighten your hair for a special day, it will revert back to curly very quickly.

At this point I've cut off most of my relaxed ends. I'm keeping the ends because I like to be able to put my hair up in a bun and not think about it. Wishing you the best of luck in your transition.

See: 2 year natural update

No comments:

Post a Comment