5.1.17

Things I Wish I knew Before I Graduated College



Ah college, four years of booze filled, party going, long-lasting friendship making surrounded by beautiful New England castle-like campuses. Well, at least that’s what I expected after watching too many American college-themed movies. After going to uni in Canada, I experienced zero of these things. My expectations for college were unrealistic and I quickly cracked under the pressure, became depressed, gained Freshman 35 (thanks Mindy Kaling for the term) and barely passed my classes near the end. Every year, I have a younger cousin cousin who’s about to start college ( my dad has 9 siblings, therefore I literally have a cousin or two starting college every year). Each year, I copy paste them the same advice I wish I had learnt before starting college

1. College is hard, don’t coast –Really, it’s not easy. At first I thought it was due to the fact that I chose a complicated topic – biopharmaceutical sciences – but no matter what subject you choose to specialize in, it will be challenging. There is a multitude of readings, assignments and tests simultaneously for each class. There are sometimes additional labs and discussions groups. It can all get very stressful but the best thing to do is to manage time


2. Mental health is more important than college- In my third year of uni, I fell into a really deep depression, I gained a lot of weight, leaving the house to go to class was a hard task. I started drinking a lot and had negative thoughts. By my fourth year, it was really bad. I definitely should have looked into professional help. I switched my major and stated a minor in Psychology which helped a lot with my depression. Getting a degree should never come before your well being




3.. Talk to your professors, kiss ass (a little) – Do you want to go to grad school, do you want recommendations for jobs? Talk to your professors. Office hours are there for a reason. Go in and discuss what you didn’t understand in the lectures. Discuss other things. Talk about the weather. The keys is to just talk to them, make sure they know your name and are able to write a great recommendation for you, not just your average copy paste.


4. Get a job – As aforementioned yes, college is hard, but it is also the time as an adult where you will have the most free time. Don’t waste it binging on Netflix. Get a part-time job and save some coins. You can easily spare 16 hours or less a week. Having a specific work schedule also helps you maintaining a proper school schedule.


5. Save money -  By saving $20 a week, in 5 months, you will have $400! After a year you could potentially save $960. Add that $40 cheque your grandmother sends you for your birthday with your name misspelled and you’re nearly at a grand. Now college is four to five years. That’s 5 G's. Not bad for only 20 dollars a week

6. Have fun - This seems contrary to all the negativity I have said above but college is as I said, college is the time where you will have the most freedom in your life. There are a million parties to go to. All around you there are equally confused and shy people who share the same interests as you. So make new friends, sign up for online dating and go on lots of dates! 

No comments:

Post a Comment