16.11.16

Maintaining Braids



Ever since I've become natural, I've mostly kept my hair in braided hairstyles. They are easier to manage, look cute and require little mainipulation. If taken care of, they can last a while and if they start looking frizzy, I pretend I'm Zoey Kravitz and continue to rock them. Here are my tips for maintaing your natural hair while it is in braids:


1. Moisturize - Every monring and night, I spritz my hair with my magic concunction : water + drops of very light oil (apricot, almond, avocado) + few drops of pepermint oil + few drops of tea tree oil. This keeps my hair moisturized while it's mixed with dry plastic synthetic hair. The peppermint oil soothes my scalp and prevents itchiness and leaves a refreshing smell




2. Wash hair before appplication - I only started doing the last time I braided my hair and I regret not having done it before. I have very sensitive skin and usually a couple days after I installed a new style, my skin and scalp would start to itch. This time around before I braided the hair, I rinsed it in an ACV rinse which according to the internet removes the alkalinity in the synthtetic hair, rendering it more gentle. I did however notice that the hair was more frizzy after being washed prior to application but as aforementioned, I accepted my new Zoe Kravitz look


3. Wash hair as normal - Braids can be washed like normal hair. Again, there will be more frizz after wash but it's better than constantly scratching at your scalp.


4. Remove style after 4 to 6 weeks - Having extensions for longer can only lead to problems. Your edges may thin out and braids might start falling out - with your hair in it. It's all very tragic - don't do it.


5.  Invest in a braid spray -  I stole a bottle of Defunk Hair Refresher Tonic  from my godmother who uses it on her locs but it is also GREAT for braids. After exersising (that one time a month) or if you feel your hair emiiting a not so pleasant odor, spritz this and your hair and BAM, odor is gone. Pure Magic

No comments:

Post a Comment